Gilbert Gonzales has led Bexar County, Texas in establishing a highly effective model for mental health diversion. We look forward to implementing a similar model in Harrisonburg, and have compiled a list of resources about this model that we hope to keep updated as additional reports are released on this promising model. (Last updated )
This model has won the American Psychiatric Association’s Gold Achievement Award, the National Council for Behavioral Health’s Community Innovation Award, and the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ Health Care Innovation Award.
- Connolly, A., Mauro, J., Pille, G., Elliott, S. Sears, J., Ford, F., & Higdon, D. (). Bexar County, Texas San Antonio: Keeping the mentally ill and serial inebriates out of jail, off the street, and out of the hospital by providing access to treatment and support services. Retrieved from https://dhs.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/RecapBexarCounty_12-02-10CJCC_Mtg_09-16-2011.pdf
- Council of State Governments Justice Center. (). Bexar county smart justice: Redesigning a local justice system to divert people with mental illnesses to community treatment. Retrieved from https://csgjusticecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Bexar-County-Smart-Justice-Handout.pdf
- Cowell, A. J., Aldridge, A. P., Broner, N., & Hinde, J. M. (). A cost analysis of the Bexar county, Texas, jail diversion program: An analysis of cost-shifting between the treatment and criminal justice systems. San Antonio, TX: Center for Health Care Services. Retrieved from https://www.ValleyJusticeCoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/Bexar-Cost-Analysis-2008.pdf
- Cowell, A. J., Hinde, J. M., Broner, N., & Aldridge, A. P. (2013). The impact on taxpayer costs of a jail diversion program for people with serious mental illness. Evaluation and program planning, 41, 31-37. doi:10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2013.07.001
- Cowell, A. J., Hinde, J. M., Broner, N., & Aldridge, A. P. (). The cost of implementing a jail diversion program for people with mental illness in San Antonio, Texas. Evaluation and program planning, 48, 57-62. doi:10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2014.09.004
- Evans, L. (). Blueprint for success: The Bexar county model: How to setup a jail diversion program in your community. National Association of Counties. Retrieved from http://www.naco.org/sites/default/files/documents/Jail%20Diversion%20Toolkit.pdf
- Gold, J. (). Mental health cops help reweave social safety net in San Antonio. NPR. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/08/19/338895262/mental-health-cops-help-reweave-social-safety-net-in-san-antonio
- Gonzales, G. (). Medical clearance and psychiatric assessment: Key concerns for effective jail diversion for persons with mental illness. Paper presented at the 135st APHA Annual Meeting and Exposition.
- Gonzales, G., & Dayak, M. (). Out of jail and into treatment: Stakeholders in a Texas county work to improve the lives of offenders with serious mental illness. Behavioral Healthcare Executive, 26(8), 24-27. Retrieved from https://www.behavioral.net/article/out-jail-and-treatment
- Hartford, K. (). Diversion for people with concurrent disorders. Research Insights of Mental Health Care, 4(4).Retrieved from http://www.sjhc.london.on.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/v4n4-2007.pdf
- Metzger, J. E. (). A brief cost analysis of Arkansas mental health and prison reform. Arkansas Public Policy Panel. Retrieved from https://p.arktimes.com/media/pdf/mental_health_report.pdf Also available from the Arkansas legislature.
- Moser, W. (). San Antonio reduced its jail population by treating the mentally ill. Chicago Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/August-2014/San-Antonio-Reduced-Its-Jail-Population-By-Treating-the-Mentally-Ill/
- Pamerleau, S. (). Jail diversion program a huge success. San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved from http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Jail-diversion-program-a-huge-success-6777745.php
- Pliska, S. R., Adams, B., Taylor, S. E., & Velligan, D. (). Mental health crisis in Bexar County a ‘new normal?’. San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved from http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Mental-health-crisis-in-Bexar-County-a-new-9139886.php
- Polk County, Iowa Criminal Justice Coordinating Council. (). Criminal Justice Coordinating Council meeting minutes. Retrieved from https://www.polkcountyiowa.gov/media/127378/CJCCMinutes_08.08.11-comm-conversation.pdf
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (). Providing health care for the acute mentally ill: A community response. Retrieved from http://forces4quality.org/af4q/download-document/5247/Resource-San%20Antonio.%20Mentally%20Ill.pdf
- Texas jail diversion program demonstrates economic benefits.(). Mental Health Weekly, 15(7), 1,4,6. doi:10.1002/mhw.20301507
- Walsh, N. & Evans, L. (). Mental health and criminal justice: Case study: Bexar County, Texas. National Association of Counties. Retrieved from http://www.naco.org/sites/default/files/documents/Bexar%20County%20-%20Mental%20Health%20and%20Jails%20Case%20Study.pdf