City of Harrisonburg budget timeline
The following is for the City of Harrisonburg, but the county budget timeline is similar.
- Budget kick-off
- November – January
- Departments develop initial budget proposals
- Council engages in budget conversations with the community
- Survey is posted to BeHeardHarrisonburg.org
- Outside agency requests due
- Develop preliminary budget projections
- Meet with directors
- Update revenue projections
- Draft budget is presented to City Council
- Public hearing and first reading of budget
- Second reading and adoption of budget
- July 1
- Newly adopted budget begins
This information is copied from Vass, M.-H. (2016, January 4). City Launches Budget Survey. City of Harrisonburg.
Past years’ budgets
From the City Council minutes.
|Year||Draft Distributed||Presentation of budget||Budget Work Session||Adoption|
Harrisonburg and Rockingham local budget links
- Rockingham county budgets
- Rockingham county annual financial reports
- Harrisonburg city budget webpage
- Harrisonburg city annual financial reports
- Rockingham-Harrisonburg Regional Jail FY17 Expenses
- Rockingham-Harrisonburg Regional Jail FY17 Revenue
Virginia legal requirements for local budgets
- Virginia Municipal League. (2010). A locality’s guide to adopting a budget and setting taxes.
- Huff, R. M., & Smith, T. P. (2010). Budgets, Laws And Virginia Local Governments. Robinson, Farmer, Cox Associates.
- Va. Code § 15.2-25 Budgets, Audits and Reports